Late last year a design challenge came to us: what if we thought differently about adult ESL learning? This was intriguing to us. We didn’t know much about the area and quickly learned that ESL learners are often given children’s books as a way to learn English. The problem is, these children’s books don’t stimulate the adult readers or recognize the complex journey of settling in to a new life that they are simultaneously going through.
So, we had an idea. What if newcomers actually wrote books about their experiences coming to, navigating, and now calling Canada home?
We are looking for community agencies to collaborate with in different neighbourhoods across the GTA. We are looking for community agencies that have an established ESL program with at least CLB Level 4 readers to participate in an innovative storytelling project.
This is a good partnership fit for you if:
- You want more from adult ESL books
- You are looking for a new way to engage your ESL program participants
- You value participating in bigger social design challenges
We partner on projects to demonstrate validity and traction of ideas:
- Solve design challenges bigger than one service provider
- Challenge established systems
- Offer design solutions as social service prototypes
- Provide evidence for new ways of solving problems
- Empower citizens to be storytellers
If you are interested in partnering with us, you can fill out our community partner form and we’ll get back to you as quickly as possible.